OK so I hold my hands up, this recipe may not be 100% British, but we are still just about in the EU! So please excuse the choice of bread and the title and I assure you, if you have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying at Breakfast, this recipe is for you! It was too good not to share.
Serves two; alter ingredients as required.
Baking tray and frying pan required.
- Brioche loaf
- 6-8 slices of British smoked streaky bacon (un-smoked if you prefer)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 100ml of milk
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180º and cook the bacon for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together; the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla.
- Slice the brioche in to 4-6 pieces (depending on how greedy you want to be).
- Dip the bread into the mixture ensuring each side is fully coated. Leave in the bowl to soak for a few minutes.
- Whilst the bread is soaking add the butter to the frying pan on a medium heat.
- Carefully (it will be rather soggy) lift and place the bread into the pan and fry until golden on each side.
- I have served this dish with fresh raspberries, natural yogurt and a drizzle of warm maple syrup.
I promise that this recipe will not disappoint!