British Strawberries are coming into season and there is no easier cake to make on which to display and savour their fabulous beauty! The Victoria Sponge is a classic well-known recipe however up until recently I was never quite happy with my sponge. I think finally though I have mastered it and it is super easy. I hope that yours turns out as good as I think mine has.
You will need:
- x 2 Non-stick round spring form cake tins approximately 23x7cm
- Grease proof paper
- One large bowl
- Electric whisk
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 20-25 minutes
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 230g of caster sugar (plus a little extra to finish the cake)
- 230g of self-raising flour
- 230g of unsalted butter at room temperature (plus a little extra to grease tins)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Small pot of double cream
- Strawberry Jam
- Large British strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Grease and then line the baking tins with grease proof paper (I find if you grease the tin first the baking paper won’t be so fiddly). Line both the bottom of the tins and the sides. Then also lightly grease the paper.
- Break the eggs into the mixing bowl and then add the sugar, flour (sieved), baking powder, butter (in cubes) and vanilla essence. Whisk together until well combined and falls away from the whisk easily.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and using a spatula or back of the spoon smooth the tops over.
- Place in the centre of your oven for 20-25 minutes. I would suggest checking after 20 minutes. They should have risen slightly and be springy to touch (not wobbly!).
- Once cooked allow to cool for five minutes before removing from the tins and allowing to cool on a rack.
- Whilst cooling whip the double cream and prep the strawberries. I normally halve or quarter some for the middle of the cake and then save some whole ones for the top.
- Once the cake is cooled spread the jam on top of one of the cakes (you can level the cake out if you prefer). Then add the cream and strawberries. Place the second cake on top, dust with caster sugar and then decorate with the remaining strawberries as you wish.
A perfect Summer cake, enjoy x