Eggs are in abundance around our farm in the summer. This giant 6 egg omelette is a great way to use them up. What is more, eggs are loaded with proteins, vitamins minerals and good fats. It is a perfect recipe to kick start your day or alternatively you can cook it up as a lunch or supper dish and serve with a fresh salad.
This recipe serves 2-4 depending on your appetites!
Medium sized cast iron skillet required (roughly 9-10 inches)
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15-30 minutes
- 6 large free range eggs
- 100ml milk
- 8 slices of British streaky bacon
- 1 large field mushroom – sliced
- Vine cherry tomatoes
- 50g sweetcorn fresh/frozen or tinned
- 100g mature cheese – grated
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Part cook the bacon either under the grill or in a frying pan for 5-10 minutes then cut into thick (roughly 1cm) strips.
- Start warming the skillet on the hob with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Measure the milk into a jug then add the eggs, salt and pepper for seasoning and half of the grated cheese. Hand whisk together with a fork.
- Pour the omelette mixture into the skillet and sprinkle the bacon, mushroom, sweetcorn and remaining cheese on top. Finally, place the vine tomatoes on top (as many as you like). Season again if you like.
- Cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes. If the top has not set place under the grill until finished.